Become a recreation guide or instructor and share your passion of the underwater world.
Do something you love by learning the knowledge and skills to guide divers exploring underwater or teach them the skills and knowledge to start their own underwater adventures. Imagine your new office as the recreation environment of the underwater world of reefs and fish. Imagine teaching people the joy of diving, that’s living the dream! Our professional team can take you from beginner or advanced level diver to recreation guide such as dive master or from divemaster to recreational dive instructor (IDC) and give you real opportunities being the best.
Our professional teaching team will provide you with the specialised skills and knowledge to be awesome in guiding or instructing recreation activities. We will give you the skills, knowledge and experience to facilitate skill transfer to clients so they may participate and share your passion in the underwater world. On completion of the instructor specialisation you will be able to:
apply learned skills and knowledge with instructional strategies
Transfer required technical skills and knowledge to clients
critique performance & friendly feedback above and below the water
assess participants skill and knowledge during and end of activity, real satisfaction for all
managing expected and unexpected situations by yourself or as part of a dynamic team, real excitement
Is this your story?
You can see the excitement in the divers eyes, the smile on their face behind their dive mask, marveling at the wonders underwater. You think to yourself wow, it was only 2 days ago these guys had their first go on SCUBA in the pool and now here they are, because of you they are now Openwater divers. You feel content, real job satisfaction doing what you love to do! A Certificate IV Recreation Instructor for SCUBA diving, Certified with an international SCUBA Instructor License.
What you get with your awesome program
- SIS40619 Certificate IV in Outdoor Leadership nationally recognised qualification
- Internationally recognised dive certification training to either divemaster of instructor development course level
- Greater recognition, greater job, career and further educational opportunities and pathways
- Accredited qualifications leading to university pathways and credits
- Nationally recognised first aid certificate
- Highest quality and value qualification and certification program
So why not be the best, start the best recreation program in the best location, Gold Coast or Cairns with the best operators and diving reefs teaming with fish life!
- Age: Be 18 years of age or over.
- Interview: On-campus or phone/Skype interview before enrollment to determine course suitability (English level appropriateness, interests, intentions), identify relevant electives, costs, RPL and elective pre-requisites.
- English proficiency: To an “Intermediate” level. Determined by one or combination of:
- IELTS score of 5.5 (overall) or equivalent (TOEFL or PTE A) with no band sub score under 5, all tests to be no more than 2 years old, or
- Previous English study to intermediate level (must supply evidence acceptable to AGI) or
- Satisfactorily complete our AGI English entrance test or
- Demonstrate intermediate level English in AGI interview or
- Completion of Year 10 (Australia) or equivalent (New Zealand, USA, UK, Canada)
- Previous activity experience and qualifications: Provide evidence of interest, experience in recreational, sport or fitness activities (interview, references, resume) and copies of formal qualifications and licenses in relevant areas of study (e.g. recreation, sport, health and fitness, SCUBA licenses or participation, swimming)
- SCUBA stream: Swimming ability is required (200m, plus tread water for 10 mins), plus a pre-SCUBA medical (cost not included) may also be required based on answers to questionnaire.
Note: Students can apply for Recognition of Prior Learning or Direct Credit. This may reduce the course time. See website or contact AGI for details.
Course is delivered over a period of 12
months including 4 term breaks. The course duration
may vary upon learners’ prior experience, knowledge
and abilities. AGI will deliver this course by scheduling 16
hours of Student Contact Hours (SCH) and 4 hours of selfpaced learning over 2 days per week for 40 weeks.
Face to face 16 hours per week plus minimum 4 hours self paced interactive learning
You must satisfactorily complete both your knowledge development including face to face and self-paced learning (online and distance) and skill development (activity performance with observations) components of each unit to be deemed competent for the qualification.
Dive Master stream Tuition fee AUD$11900 (includes Open water, Advanced, Rescue, First aid, Dive Master)
Dive Instructor stream Tuition fee AUD$13400 (includes Instructor Training Course -ITC or Instructor Development Course -IDC, excludes IE)
application fee AUD$250
Administration fee AUD$250
Tuition fees: include costs associated with the delivery and assessment of your qualification.
- Inclusions: learning materials (initial supply and access), designated activity equipment hire (SCUBA Open water and advanced), allocated transport to activities from facility.
- Exclusions: Additional transport beyond allocated (missed facility supplied transport), additional costs associated with re-assessment/missed assessment by student fault, activity session reschedule by student fault, Instructor Examination or Evaluation course, SCUBA equipment at Dive Master and Instructor unit and program levels, resupply of Certificates of qualifications or statements of attainment, late payment fees, change of enrolment or cancellation fees (refer to policy and procedures/student handbook)
Application fee (non-refundable): Costs and material associated with registering the student into the requested AGI qualification.
Administration fee (non-refundable): Ongoing costs associated to manage student through period of study in qualification.
Please refer to the course information and enrollment kit for more information or contact AGI
Please refer to course information and enrollment kit for further information or contact AGI
Units of Competency
27 units must be completed to get your qualification and get all the opportunities that go with it.
Unit Code Unit Title
1. HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
2. PUAOPE013 Operate communications systems and equipment
3. SISOFLD002 Minimise environmental impact
4. SISOPLN001 Finalise operation of outdoor recreation activities
5. SISOPLN002 Plan outdoor activity sessions
6. SISOPLN004 Identify hazards, assess and control risks for outdoor recreation activities
7. SISOPLN005 Interpret weather and environmental conditions for outdoor recreation activities
8. SISORSC001 Conduct search and rescue
9. SISXCAI006 Facilitate groups
10. SISXCCS003 Address client needs
11. SISXEMR002 Coordinate emergency responses
12. SISXFAC001 Maintain equipment for activities
Unit Code Unit Title
1. SISOSCB001 SCUBA dive in open water to a maximum depth of 18 metres (AB)
2. SISOSCB004 Navigate prescribed routes underwater (AB)
3. SISOSCB006 Perform diver rescues (AB)
4. SISOSCB010 Lead SCUBA diving activities (AB)
5. SISOSCB003 SCUBA dive at night (AC)
6. SISOSCB005 Complete underwater search and recovery dives (AC)
7. SISOSCB009 SCUBA dive to depths between 18 and 40 metres (AC)
8. SISOSCB011 Lead specialised SCUBA diving activities (AC)
9. TAEDEL301 Provide work skill instruction
10. HLTAID003 Provide first aid
11. SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
12. SISOSCB002 SCUBA dive from boats
13. SISOSCB007 Inspect and fill SCUBA cylinders
14. SISOSCB008 SCUBA dive using Enriched Air Nitrox
15. HLTAID007 Provide advanced resuscitation